Governance Audits are becoming critical in providing assurance to stakeholders that the organization has embraced good governance practices in order to achieve its strategic objectives. In the recent past, the legal and regulatory framework in Kenya has recognized the important role of Governance Audit as evidenced below:
- The Companies Act, 2015 makes it mandatory for all Quoted Companies to annually assess the extent to which they observe corporate governance policies and strategies.
- The Code of Corporate Governance Practices for Issuers of Securities to the Public 2015 as gazetted by the Capital Markets Authority requires the Board to subject the company to an Annual Governance Audit by a competent and recognized professional accredited for that purpose by ICPSK.
- Mwongozo, the Code of Governance for State Corporations in Kenya, requires State Corporations to carry out An Annual Governance Audit by a member regulated by ICPSK and accredited for that purpose. Likewise,
- ICPSK Code of Corporate Governance for Private Organizations in Kenya also calls for Annual Governance Audits.
The Council of the Institute is in discussions with potential partners for purposes of promoting the practice of Governance Audit both locally and outside Kenya. Through a consultative process the Institute has developed comprehensive training materials including participants’ workbooks, a Governance Audit Manual, Governance Audit Tools and Standards, and Trainers’ Guidelines to ensure quality Governance Audit processes and programmes. In view of this, the Institute has designed this course to train, refine and accredit its members as Governance Auditors to competently undertake Governance Audits and related assignments for both public and private sectors. The accredited Governance Auditors will also conduct ICPSK COG Award assessments.
This five days course will therefore equip participants with skills and knowledge to assess the governance framework in organizations and help organizations put in practice the principles of good governance. The Course will also be most ideal for in-house Corporate Secretaries who would require the knowledge for purposes of preparing their organizations to undergo Governance Audits.
The overall objective of this course is to strengthen the competencies of Certified Secretaries to effectively carry out Governance Audit. The intended outcome of the course is to produce accredited professionals who can undertake Governance Audits for organizations. After covering all the modules of this syllabus, the professional should be able to:
- Understand the need, objectives, scope, principles and standards of Governance Audit;
- Design and implement a Governance Audit strategy;
- Design and implement a Governance Audit plan;
- Develop user-friendly Governance Audit Systems;
- Prepare and interpret various Governance Audit reports;
- Conduct a Governance Audit Peer Review;
- Understand governance compliance requirements in various sectors;
- Develop a Governance Audit Proposal; and
- Advise organizations on governance compliance management and controls.