The Registration of Certified Public Secretaries Board (RCPSB) has a regulatory role over the profession. Persons who wish to register as members are required to apply for CPS(K) status through the RCPSB which deals with licensing of qualified CPS graduates. Those who desire to practice are required to obtain a special license issued by RCPSB. The RCPSB is located on Treasury Building, Nairobi on the 7th floor and the contacts contacts can be found at the end of this page.
Persons who wish to register as members are required to apply through the Registration of Certified Public Secretaries Board (RCPSB) which deals with licensing of qualified CPS graduates. Those who desire to practice are required to obtain a practising certificate issued by RCPSB, after meeting the prerequisite requirements.
Certified Secretaries are trained to offer professional services in the areas of: Governance, compliance, advisory, management, administration, consultancy, corporate recovery, insolvency, among others. Membership benefits and opportunities include:
- Use of the internationally recognized Certified Secretary “CS” designation.Company
- Secretaries in line with the requirements of the Companies Act No 17 of 2015Secretaries to the County Public
- Service Board in line with the provision of the County Governments Act, 2012.Secretaries to the Boards of the Cities and Urban areas in line with the provision of the County Governments Act, 2012.
- Corporation Secretaries in line with provisions of the Code of Governance for State Corporations (Mwongozo).
- Governance Auditors of State Corporations in line with provisions of Mwongozo.
- Governance Auditors of issuers of Securities to the Public in line with provisions of the Code of Governance for issuers of Securities to the Public.
- Shares Registrars.
- Compliance Advisors.
- Governance Advisors and Trainers.Board Evaluators.
- Access to cutting edge knowledge in their field of specialization through our Continuous Professional
- Development (CPD) programmes.
- Discounts on professional trainings offered by ICS.
- Serving in Public and Private Institutions Boards.
- Serving in Committees of the Council.
- Facilitating Trainings and Consultancies on behalf of the Institute.
- Access to ICPSK Publications such as the Governance Journal and regular electronic updates on current and conventional issues.
- Access to the ICPSK Medical Scheme.
- Invest and purchase office space in the CPS Governance Centre Office Complex.
- Inclusion in our databank for job opportunities.
- Access to technical support on professional matters.
- Opportunities for participation in international programmes organized by Corporate Secretaries.
- International Association (CSIA) and interaction with the global business community.
- Access to ICS library resources.
- Membership of the ICS Sacco Society Limited.
- Membership of the ICS Benevolent Fund.
- Opportunity for linkages with other members and professionals to enhance networking and contribute to national development.
Members of ICPSK are categorized into two board categories of membership. These categories are:-
- Non – practicing
A member can opt to take the status of a life member. Conditions are that he/ she should have been a member in good standing for 10 years and more. This status is open to practicing and non – practicing members.
10 years membership - Kshs. 100,000
20 years and above - Kshs. 65,000
Mainly are employed by corporate bodies and other institutions. They are not allowed to file company returns as practicing members; however, they can do so only for their employers in their capacities as Company Secretaries.
Membership fee is currently Kshs. 12,500 per annum
For one to become a practicing member, he/she must be licensed to do so. Members are authorized to practice by the RCPSB upon application and payment of appropriate fees.
Membership fees is Kshs. 15,000 per annum.
The qualifications for membership of the Institute are prescribed under section 20 of the Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya Act, Cap 534 and as amended through the Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendments) Act, 2002. A person is qualified to be registered as a Certified Public Secretary if the person:-
- Has been awarded by the Examinations Board (KASNEB) a certificate designated the final certificate of Certified Public Secretaries Examinations;
- Holds a qualification approved by the Registration of Certified Public Secretaries Board (RCPSB);
- Was on June 30, 2002 both a citizen of Kenya and a member of the professional body known as The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators.
- Was on June 30, 2002 both ordinarily resident in Kenya and a member of the professional body known as The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators.
- Was on November 1, 1989 registered as an Accountant under section 24(1) of the Accountant Act; or
- Was on 30 June 2002 an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
Application fee for this is Kshs. 10,000 for Kenyans and Ksh. 18,000 for Non-Kenyans.
Practising licence is Kshs. 10,000 for Kenyans and Kshs.20,000/= for Non-Kenyans.
As a policy, the Institute introduced and made compulsory the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) requirements for all its members. In a given year, every member of the Institute is expected to actively participate in a number of functions/activities and attain the minimum credit units set for that year.
The CPD Credits are in two categories; structured and unstructured. The unstructured credits are earned from activities of other recognized institutions while the structured credits are earned from activities/functions that are organized by the Institute. In the year 2014 calendar, the members are offered a variety of programs, comprising of seminars, conferences and social functions, from which to attain the required CPD credits.
For the each year, every member is required to attain a minimum of twenty (20) structured units and ten (10) unstructured.
The CPS examination in Kenya is administered by KASNEB. In order to register as a KASNEB student, a candidate is required to possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination with an aggregate of at least grade C plus (C+) provided the applicant has obtained a minimum grade of C plus (C+) in both English and Mathematics.
- KASNEB technician or professional examination certificates.
- A degree from recognized University, (Exemptions may be granted to holders of degrees, diplomas and certificates from recognized universities, polytechnics, other institutions of higher learning and other examination bodies in East Africa)
- Such other certificates or diplomas as may be approved by KASNEB.
For more information visit KASNEB
Chief Executive & Secretary
Kasneb Towers, Upper Hill
P. O. Box 41362 - 00100
To Create Account
1. Go to the ICS website at the top right you will see MY ICS Link, click on it or follow this link Register
· If you have never logged in before click on register.
· Input your details in the fields provided.
· An email with a link will be sent to your personal email, click on the link to validate your account. Now go back to the website login page and login with your credentials.
2. Input you username and then your password to login
To Access Seminar Presentations
1. Click on the Events button on the home page
2. Click on the Past Events button
3. Select the particular Institute event
4. Click on the Event Presentations tab
To View/Print CPD Reports
1. Click on MY ICS button on the top right side of the home page
2. Log in to your account
3. Click on the CPD button
4. Select the respective year
5. Select the respective event
6. Click on the Generate Certificate button
The Event Certificate will be sent to your email address